Talking To Vortex Lasers Over RS232
- Connect RS232 cable from Vortex controller to computer.
- At controller, set bits per second (BPS) under the menu to 19200.
- At computer, Open HyperTerminal program, usually under Communications Folder.
- If you have not set up any Hyperterminal before, the program will pop up with a Connection Description panel - follow these directions.
- Inside HyperTerminal, choose “COM1”
- Use the following for Port Settings:
- Bits Per Second: 19200
- Data Bits: 8
- Parity: None
- Stop Bits: 1
- Flow Control: None
- Under File menu, click on Properties
- Click on the “Settings” TAB
- Click on “ASCII Setup”
- Place a check on “Echo typed characters locally”
- Place a check on “Force incoming data to 7-bit ASCII”
- Click OK.
To check / set temperature
- Type “:nfman on” to establish communications in this mode.
- Type “ts?” query set temp
- To change set temp to 18°C, Type “ts 18.0” sets new temp.
- To confirm, type “ts?”
To check / set other parameters
- If you're in the temperature setting mode, you must type ":nfman on" (with colon) to enter the consumer mode.
- Use commands outlined on pages 34-35 of manual.
- eg. If you wish to set current to 80 mA, type ":sour:curr 80"
- You can repeat the previous commands by typing "/"
To return to the manual mode on the controller
- Just push the right most button on the controller.
page revision: 1, last edited: 20 Jan 2010 18:44